Handmade By Zan
I have been designing knit and crochet patterns for more than 4 years. I have been knitting and crocheting off and on since my dear grandmother taught me at the age of 8, more than 40 years now. I love everything to do with fiber crafts! I knit, crochet, spin, I sell my hand dyed yarn on Etsy.
You can find me on Instagram here
My wish is to inspire, and encourage creativity. I look for experienced testers with a keen eye.
I feel it is important that all my testers are clear on what is expected of them. I need to be clear on what I need and expect, while creating an enjoyable creative time for all of you.
My goals in testing patterns:
- To find overlooked errors before publishing, and make sure the numbers work.
- To make sure the pattern works as written (i.e. the result matches the goal/sample)
- To ensure clarity – that the pattern is understandable.
- To have some FOs already completed when the pattern is published.
Before you volunteer for a specific test:
- Take a good look at the sample. Do you want something that looks exactly like the photo.
- Do you have the time to complete the size you want to make.
- Do you have the proper materials on hand.
- Can you work to the expectations listed.
- Do you understand that your only compensation will be a copy of the finished pattern, and compensation will only be given once all the expectations are fulfilled?
Expectations of a good test:
- Create a project page on Ravelry as soon as you are selected to test(you MUST have a Ravelry account), and link it up when the pattern is released
- Work the pattern exactly as it is written unless you’ve cleared the changes with me first. I only ask this because I’m trying to make sure the pattern works as I wrote it - if you’re working something similar but not exact, it works against my testing goals.
- Keep track of your yardage so I can make sure my estimates are correct for publication.
- Fill in the tester survey once you have completed your test.
- Message me if you find a discrepancy in the pattern, or a portion you’re unsure of.
DO NOT POST THE ACTUAL PATTERN TEXT IN A THREAD TO EXPLAIN, PLEASE MESSAGE ME WITH ANY COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS THAT YOU FEEL REQUIRE THAT MUCH INFORMATION.
- Post in the thread or message me if you feel you have found an error.
- Complete the test by the deadline set.
- Take good photos – if you can’t take outdoor ones, please at least take clear ones in good lighting. Modeled photos aren’t required, but please no dark or blurry cell phone photos.
- Check in at least once a week, even if just to tell me you’re still working.
- If something happens, and you find you can’t finish the test, please talk to me and see if we can work something out - I’m a reasonable person, and I do understand that life happens! If you drop out without saying anything I will have to report you to Fiberly.
Expectations of a Secret Test:
- Do NOT post ANY photos of your project ANYWHERE on the internet, or on ANY social media. Many publications require that a pattern submitted for publication not be seen anywhere on the internet at all before.
- Do all the things above for a normal test, but PM me if you need to send a picture with an issue you found.