Trending Test Knit! Apply now before spots fill up.
Est. Yards600 - 900
Payment Notes: final pattern + coupon code for an additional free pattern
Yarn Requirements(light) fingering-weight yarn, 3 colors
Skills RequiredI-Cord Longtail Cast-on Short rows
Spice Road is a three-color shawl in soothing garter stitch and an engaging textured slip-stitch pattern — and not a single purl stitch! This shawl was designed for a three-color fade going from light to dark or from subtle to saturated.
Sections of one-color garter stitch and two-color slip stitches alternate in this top-down shawl worked in light fingering or fingering-weight yarn. The shawl ends in a sawtooth bind-off shaped with short rows. Built-in i-cord edgings surround the shawl in all three edges.
Spice Road is worked on the bias to make an asymmetrical triangle. The pattern comes in two sizes: Shawl and Shawlette. Pick a trio of colors and start your adventure!
This pattern is written with both metric and US terminology. Only written instructions are provided for the slip-stitch pattern — charts are not needed.
- ➤ Shawlette [Shawl]
- ➤ Wingspan: approx. 145  cm / 57 [74¾]"
- ➤ Depth: approx. 30  cm / 11¾ [19¾]"
Holst Garn Supersoft (100% wool, 287 m/50 g, 314 yd/1.76 oz), 3 colors
- ➤ Color A: 1 skein in colorway #21 Goldcrest
- ➤ Color B: 1  skeins in colorway #22 Ember
- ➤ Color C: 1  skeins in colorway #23 Bokhara
Or (light) fingering weight yarn, 3 colors
- ➤ Color A: approx. 160  m / 175  yd
- ➤ Color B: approx. 165  m / 180  yd
- ➤ Color C: approx. 210  m / 230  yd
3.5 mm / US #4 long (80–100 cm / 32–40") circular needle (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- ➤ 1 locking stitch marker (optional)
- ➤ 15  stitch markers
- ➤ Darning needle
21 sts × 40 rows (20 garter ridges) = 10 cm / 4" in garter stitch, blocked
long-tail cast-on, slipped stitches, German short rows, and i-cord bind-off
1. Give feedback on the pattern via email or by commenting on the pattern on Google Docs.
2. Report yarn consumption (yardage/meterage) separately for each color.
3. Report finished dimensions (wingspan and depth) of the blocked item.
4. Good, clear photography of the finished object.
5. Fill out test knitters' survey.